It's Raining Baritones!!!
Hallelujah, the weather forecast is in! Come 25 March, get ready and leave your umbrellas at home as it is the season of baritone pride! Four prominent mid-voiced male singers will take the stage to present a mixed programme that showcases the best of the baritone repertoire. In addition to the usual classical, musical theatre and operatic highlights, our show will feature dance, visual arts, original compositions and just a hint of drag as well. Let Steven Ang, Alvin Koh, Kan Chuan, Xiao Chunyuan and our pianist Winnie Tiopan introduce you to a variety of baritone voices and the music we sing!
• Trained in the UK with superstar tenor Bruce Ford.
• Graduated with top scores from Taipei’s Dongwu University (Bachelor)
• Performed in Rome Opera’s Aida production with Juan Pons in Taipei.
• Frequent performer in many disciplines including opera (SLO), contemporary dance, Shakespeare (Method Productions), M1 Fringe Festival (Foreign Bodies, 2017), musical theatre (MTL with Stella Kon) and theatre (Stage Club, 2017).
• Students have been featured in stage productions by SLO, Childaid, Wild Rice and on TV among others.
• Award winning child performer as a singer and pianist, before he won a full scholarship to study in Singapore at the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts.
• Trained as a singer locally with soprano Nancy Yuen and tenor Lim Shieh Yih and piano collaboration with Ms. Rena Cheung.
• Prize winner of the Singapore Art Song Competition and silver award of the ‘Ge Sheng Liao Liang’ competition.
• Established the International Music Culture Association Singapore, which aims to promote the development of classical music.
• Bachelor with Honors graduate from University of West London via Singapore Raffles Music College, Chunyuan has studied with Anthony Roden, William Lim & Mdm. Elena Ng Choy-Luan.
• 2nd prize winner of the 4th ZhongSin International Music Competition in the Open Male Vocal Category.
• Composed music for various musical genres, ranging from orchestral, chamber works, art songs, song cycles, instrumental solos with piano accompaniment and solo piano. He has collaborated with various local poets including Professor Edwin Thumboo & COMPASS award winner Mr Yeo Poh Chuan.
• published two vocal books: Edwin Thumboo’s Poetic Songs- Vocal Compositions By Xiao Chunyuan & Vocal Compositions Volume I- Journey which features poems by Mr Yeo.
• Performed for many years as a singer, actor and dancerat venues such as VCH, Esplanade Concourse and Recital Studio, the Arts House and the Salvation Army auditorium, and for public school events, charity events and the Jane Austen Circle dance and tea events.
• Recent performances include Fish, under the direction of Dr.Eng Kai Er, which received good reviews and was described by the Straits Times as "fabulous”. He also performed in Lester by EAT and choreographed Nemesis with Max Chen for a Phrases showcase.
• As a visual and performance artist, Alvin has performed and exhibited locally and professionally at grassroot levels and at galleries like Artyfayt Gallery and NTU NIE gallery. He has one painting, Floral Fantasia, selected out of a handful, to be on permanent exhibition at the renowned Xu Bei Hong Research Museum, China.
- The event description was updated. Diff#324927 2018-03-19 11:16:46